Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Trust Bug - I think it's flying away...

(Wait! I'm moving my blog to msnarcelo.blogspot.com. It's shorter and easier. I'm in the moving process. But all my new posts will be over there. So go ahead and save it.)

How do you get rid of trust issues?

I wouldn’t consider myself someone who has issues trusting people, but lately I feel some insecurities brewing. Unfortunately, I am a good liar (I am choosing not to use the word “great” because I don’t want to cloud your perception of me). I am NOT proud of this. When I realized that if I didn’t make a change soon, this would become a permanent part of my adult life, I made a decision. I decided to remove myself from any situation that would cause me to lie (i.e. friendships, relationships, etc). I also realized that when I lied I wasn’t being myself. And that is not fair to, mainly, ME and also not fair to others. Who am I really, if I am always lying?

I can still tell a masterful lie at the drop of a dime (still not proud). This trait that I have acquired – I think it’s hereditary or I at least learned it from my brother – helps me see when OTHER PEOPLE ARE LYING. Which as great a gift as it may be, just straight up sucks sometimes. Because as much as I would love to trust someone, I can probably call them on their stuff. Or what if I think someone is lying (just because I told a similar lie) and they are being completely honest!?
How then do I go about trusting people(!?) WHEN I KNOW EVERYONE LIES!?

The rule I usually go by is that I can trust anybody until they give me a reason not to. My mother always says that "l'amour croit tous" (I think that's it) which means love believes all. Can I do that? Especially if I've been given a reason not to...

HELP! (seriously)

0 comments: