Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Delving into the Old, Looking for New

One of my favorite books is On Beauty by Zadie Smith. There is something about the setting (Boston/Cambridge) and the dynamic of this complex family that is so familiar to me. Relating is too easy and the plot! The Plot! It's a good read. Some say it's a little tough to get into and I can't promise that this book is for everyone.


I had a sudden urge to start rereading the book again last night. But somewhere between the Celtics losing by six and the fact that I'd have to leave my house at six the following day caused me to put off reading until the drive down this morning.


And the book is SO much better the second time around. Granted, I know how it ends, and for some of you that is reason enough not to reread, but it's the details that I missed along the way that fascinate me. When I first read the book I was so caught up in how much more I had to read, how much I had already read, and what was happening. I didn't stop to notice how or why these things were happening, through the little details: the conversations between mother and son, daughter and father, or the lack thereof. Already knowing about this book gives me more room to delve deeper, finding new and better things.


Which got me thinking…


I've always been the person who says I would never go out with an ex, whether we ended on amicable terms or not. Over time I also count out my guy friends that I know. The longer I know you, the more I don't want to take that risk or go down that road. But now I'm thinking that the familiar things could be more intriguing, because I'd be able to notice the little, special, unique things, seeing as though I already read "the book." I know the basics. Well, a little more than the basics. But keep in mind, there are some books I won't read again – wasn't worth the read the first time. And there are those books that were sooo good the first time, I fear in rereading I will find flaws.


Meanwhile, I'm reading On Beauty and I can almost guarantee this won't be the only post about this book.


Thoughts?


3 comments:

Prodigious said...

Loves the comparison and the fact that my current situation somewhat deals with this topic!

Cav Bernah said...

i am a firm believer in the NO U-turn zone... gotta keep moving foward.. no time to back track.. why got to Florida wen u already been there.. go somewhere u haven't been there is alot of place u can go that u didn't see yet.. way waste more time in Florida or a dif city in Florida.. at the end of the day ur still in Florida..

Jen of JustGrowAlready.com said...

I've gone through the 2xs around and it didn't end well so experience has taught me that if it ended, it ended for a reason. A second read lets you see all the good details you rushed over the 1st time but it also lets you see the negatives you missed too.