Friday, June 6, 2008

Lovers and Friends

I was talking to a close friend of mine a few days ago. She's the type of person you don't talk to for months, but when you see her she spills her soul in a day. And I reciprocate, holding some things back. She told me something I couldn't get out of my head. "Four times, G, four times, practically in a row, I've been made 'just a friend.' I don't know what the hell is wrong with me! He tells me all these great things, and these things he likes about me, and then the next day he hits me with the "let's just be---""
"friends." I helped her finish, she was getting teary-eyed.
She went on to say, "First he told me there were too many people in the mix. He don't like public relationships. So I pretended not to sweat it and said I didn't either. When I really just wanted to say let's do this regardless of what people say."
I just look at her thoughtfully.
"Next dude tells me I wasn't the next in line. And that despite our real connection, another one of his friends wanted a shot...and she was there first."
"uhmm uhmm" I chime in.
"Then other dude had a girl on the low and ain't even tell me til after I got caught up and it was too late to get out without getting hurt."
"Sound like a whole lot ---" She cuts me off.
"Then this dude now REFUSES to tell me he has a girl when I know he does. Meanwhile, he stay tryna game me, and 'cause he is so damn cool, I'm falling for it!"

I responded finally, " you can't be falling for something that you're aware of. You're willingly making that descent. And why? These guys didn't put you in that position - you chose it! (I was starting to get a little upset, but what I like about this girl is that she can take the cold hard truth) If any of those guys really wanted to be with you, the would have - whether they had to make a switch, ditch a friend, change aspects of their personality, or whatever. If they seen something in you that was worth it that would be all (this girl is a 12 on scale of 1-10 (no homo...maybe ;-) and it's not like she has low self-esteem...idk what her prob is....)
... Did you put out?"

(Did I even have to ask that question) "A lot of guys will will take advantage of your niceness, dummy. They'll say to themselves, you'll be around. I could use you in my downtime, or when I break up, or during. They'll make you think they'll be ready someday and have you waiting around for them. You need to tell yourself let go. You need to tell THEM let's just be friends then and mean it. Draw a line. Fuck it. You need to draw an actual line."

I go get a sheet of paper and a pen. "Draw a line. Put the line in between lovers and friends (ha, just thought of ursher, luda, and lil scary man with dreds). Now write friends on one side and lovers on the other. Either he's your friend or your lover 'cause you clearly need to un-complicate your life." I looked at her in the eyes and said (like I was talking to Raisha (my lil sis) or something) "Don't do things with friends that you would do with lovers! Until you can find that right guy with the eraser that will get rid of that line dividing the two. Got it!?"

"Now in the meantime, find a single friends and let the benefits rolllllllll! nevermind, I take that back. You can't handle that." Then I asked her about her single SEXXXY ASS cousin.....anywho....

What are your thoughts? Was I wrong?
Ladies, ever been in her position? Tell me about it!
Gents, ever had a friend/lover you wanted around but just didn't want to be with? Why didn't you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh mos deff lol, all the time...but nothing never or will never, come of it becuz i'm emotionally unavailable

Prodigious said...

I like that FeFe...I need to try that cuz I've been in that situation wayyyyyyyyyy too many times...but u already know lol...