Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Curse of the Meddler

I hate to admit this but sometimes Ms. Perfection over here does bad things. I know, I know - your world just crumbled because it was based on how great I am, but I must tell the truth. Worse even is the fact that sometimes on top of doing bad things I'm not always so right. (I had a hard time typing the sentence "sometimes I'm right wrong not always so right!)But I find comfort in knowing that any girl who has ever had a female friend who was in a relationship is guilty of this... so let's begin!

I was watching Daddy's Girls on MTV this morning and the topic of a girl code came on. I'm not gonna ruin the episode for those of you who haven't seen it (even though it was nothing spectacular) but simply put Alyisia (or however you spell that girl's name) was thinking about getting back with a dude (who they called "skinny jeans" LMAO) who dogged her and was now tryna bait her and reel her back in. The code states that once dogged you can never go back! I'm sitting there on my couch eating the scrambled eggs and pancakes I made myself kind of upset at the other three girls for meddling so much! If she wants to be re-dogged then let her be! Right!? Or does that make a person a bad friend?

We've all done it. First, we run and tell our girls "you wouldn't believe what that f*ckhead did!" (Now you are just asking for sympathy and meddling with that one) And then when your girls give you exactly what you had coming "that n**** is wack. I don't even know why you with him. He don't appreciate you!" we jump to defend him. Hmmm. Sometimes we even join the bitch session only to defend him days later. Now where does that leave our friends??? First off, you just put them in your business so now they are gonna be nosey as s*** and they will probably verbally meddle. Now in their minds, his stock has gone down even after you have forgiven him for his stupidity. Heaven forbid your friends are single - they are gonna try and convert you by any means necessary. (Misery loves company.)

We tell each other what to do give each other "advice" and even get upset when your girl doesn't leave homeboy. So here are some of my thoughts (and the comment section is for you to share yours)

1. Maybe we should start telling our girls the nice things our men do. And if there are no nice things to tell....ummm HINT MUTHAF*****' HINT!!!

2. Don't meddle. Put your two cents in a savings account (it's a recession!). If you were in a similar situation to the one your friend brought up share how you handled it and the consequences you faced.

3. Let your friends be themselves! You don't want to be that close to someone who thinks JUST like you and does everything you would do. That's boring. And if that were the case, name your imaginary friend "Veronica" and take her everywhere. Everyone is their own person. Trust your friends to live their life and make their own decisions.

4. Support! Good or bad decisions! I'm not saying let your friend cross a New York City street blind folded but be there to celebrate that engagement or have a bitch fest filled with movies, ice cream and cookies if they break up. And if she wants to get back with him maybe you should gently remind her why they broke up ask if she is sure, and hold her hand through it all.

You can't change someone's mind for them! You can influence it. But most likely if all you ever do is criticize someone's decision making ability in preference to your own, they probably will stop coming to you with their problems.

Girl Code Law:

Don't meddle! (cause when they get back together you look like the bad guy lol)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this was a good post.. I agree wit u.. I had to learn the hard way.. But I think its best 2 just keep it 2 urself or tell ur man how ur feeln.. Talk 2 him about it.. Let F**KHead know what he did wrong.. Once u talk 2 ur girls about the problem every1 is gonan kno whats goin on (if u have them type of friends) in ur relationship and then clown u if u choose 2 do what u want 2 do and not what they feel u should do.... I mean i kno u need 2 vent wit ur girls.. But when it comes 2 these type of situations let HIM kno.. Nd the problem will get resolved nd u neva kno it might not happen again..... Communication is key, wit ur other half that is....!! Thanxs Ms. Narcelo... :)

Prodigious said...

I def saw that episode last night...I can def agree...you can only give advice and speak from experience hoping they listen...I always say we ask our friends for advice but we're gonna do what we want at the end of the day... but we're all (don't front) guilty of dogging him and then defending him...wat we can say...

Anonymous said...

Damn I wish I said that before...................... really enjoyed post.

Anonymous said...

i saw dat episode also and i was kinda pissed dat dey were all up in her bizness too but i can say dat i neva once meddled in any of my friends relationships...u ask for my advice i give u wat i can and mind my bizness cuz ur grown and i only kno wat i see and wat u tell me so i dont kno da interpersonal relationship yall may hold that makes u feel like he can have dat chance, dats ur life, if he aint tryna beat u down physically or verbally i have no reason 2 step in or "hate"....we all kno sum of ur girls hate on u especially if u have da type of guy dat dey wish dey culd find so once he fux up dey amped to say sumthn...misery DOES love company so dats y in da end u have to decide for urself cuz u dont kno who's givin u advice based on dem lookin out for u or based on dem bein jealous...