You all know me. And for those of you have been reading my blog for some time now, you know that I just can’t avoid the topics of love, relationships, marriage, dating, and the like. Over the course of a few months you may have noticed that my more optimistic outlook on the aforementioned topics may be diminishing. Yes, I still believe in love and all it has to offer, but sometimes life gets me down, thinking that maybe that perfect-be-with-you-til-the-end-of-time love doesn’t exist. On the contrary, I still do. And you know what I’m thinking? The ones that really want it, really work for it, and show they deserve it, will have it!
So today at work, my boss was talking about her daughters and how she was married 12 years before she had children. She is telling me all these wonderful things about her husband, how she couldn’t have married a better man, and that he is the best thing that happened to her. I couldn’t help but cheese at the prospect of such greatness. And I couldn’t help but ask her sooo many questions. I found out she was married at 20 (understand that in her day that was the norm – my mom was married at 20, too) and that she has been married for 36 YEARS!!! Amazing!!! That news just made my day! And this woman had the NERVE to tell me that she was still in the honeymoon phase! The audacity of a woman to still call her husband pet names, smile when he calls, call him my [his name], plan weekend trips, be in teenage-like love in her mid fifties! More than three and half decades of love. LOVE. Talk about taking a bath in a fountain of hope! I can’t wait! Well, I can! For the perfect love, I’d wait yearssssssssss.
And speaking of the perfect love. You know what they say – every girl is looking for her father. Umm no. My husband must be taller than my dad. My husband must not keep me waiting for him for hourssss on end (he just had me waiting an hour and a half for him when I got out of class. For shame!) BUT! There are some qualities my father and my husband must share.
- He has to make me LAUGH. Like riotous laughter over the dumbest, silliest, most trivial things. I was in the car with my dad (this happens often) and we just couldn’t stop laughing (that happens more often)! I had no idea what we were laughing about either. Pointless things. You think I’m goofy!? Sike! Enter: My Father! He just makes me laugh! All the time. He is chill, never too stressed, laid back. And I find myself attracted to guys who keep my laughing, keep me chill, and keep me smiling.
- His swag. If you know my dad, you know that you have NEVER SEEN HIM IN JEANS! Casual to him is a button up and slacks. He stay walking around in a suit even when he ain’t doing anything! Granted, he takes forever to get ready! FOREVER! But he is always fresh! Always. I like to get done up, but I’m my mother’s daughter on this point. I don’t mind walking around the city not matching in sweats, flipflops, and a tee. But I def love when a guy is fresh lol! Hey, I get it from my father! So yes, I find myself attracted to a guy who stays fresh, but please understand that I completely sympathize with bumminess (that’s my neck of the woods! Yet I stay flyyyyyyy….idk how I do it ;-) )
- His attention to detail. My dad is nosey! NOSEY! Like real nosey! But I ain’t mad, I tell him madd stuff that’s going on in my life and I find that 95% of the time my dad helps me figure things out. But that’s not really the detail I’m talking about. He remembers what I like. For example, right now he just pulled into the gas station on the way home and asked me if I wanted some ice cream. SURE! (me, decline ice cream? You must not know bout me!) He comes out with strawberry shortcake ice cream, remembering the one time I said I loved that ice cream 2 months ago! So yeah, you pay attention to what I say, remember a random fact I told you months ago, can tell me what kind of pizza is my favorite (just like my daddy) and you are way up that ladder leading to my heart.
- His devotion. My. Father. Is. A. Provider. Period.
- He taught me 40% of what I know in the kitchen. Which means, yes, my father throws down, too. And he does the dishes! He understands the meaning of reciprocity and appreciated the fact that my mom takes care of him and feeds him atleast 80% of the time! So gents, I’m not expecting you to be the chef, but if you wake up one morning and decide to cook me breakfast, you made it up the ladder and now you’re knocking on the door of my heart!
- He is wise. He has learned much from life experience and never fails to school me on life. So, yes, I am attracted to a guy who I can take some problems to (not complain) and he helps me resolve them. And even if it doesn’t work out, he tried!
- Lastly and most importantly! He loves me. Even when I mess up, my dad just can’t stay mad at me. We have this bond that was solidified by the joy we bring to each other’s lives. I know my father dreads the day that another man will take me away from him. So….are you that somebody!? Lol!
Smooches
2 comments:
I love this Blog!!!!! And yes boo - true love does exist. I have always believed in love no matter how hurt or betrayed I've felt by it - I still have this deep faith in it. I am one of those people who refuse to be jaded by people who do their absolute best to make me despise even the thought of it.
My love whispers in my ear in my deepest sleep like a dream "I love you".......How can I not believe in love?
I am a bit envious of you and dad - although I suspect yo uwere always his favorite. It's ok! He is a good man to model a search by....
I think its the same for men...we want a woman who has qualities like our mothers. For me personality I want my woman to be like my mother in way....and I think that I am atrractive to women who look like my mother too.
Post a Comment