Monday, November 10, 2008

Oh Squiggly Line.....You are forgiven...


this doesn't have much to do with the post, but I love this...

Ahhh, the infamous forgiving and forgetting…

Is it even possible? I say yes – but only when you want to. You also have to factor in investment – emotional or whatever. Ight, lemme explain – so let’s get into it.

Example # 1: Let’s say I’m supposed to meet my Bestie in the city and I cancel last minute. But let’s say she was running behind schedule, wrapped up with her boo. No harm done. Forgiven and Forgotten.

Let’s say she was waiting for me in Macy’s since 3, and it’s 4 o’clock now (it’s happened before – sorry Bestie) and then I cancel. No doubt, she’s pissed. She may forgive, but she won’t forget. Next time we meet up and I say I’ll be there at 3 she’s gonna say “Riiiiight….suuuuure.” She probably won’t expect me til 4 so she’ll do something else, that way she isn’t wasting time, upset, because I’m late or won’t show. She’s protecting herself…(I think we are on to something here)

Example # 2: It’s your birthday. You can’t find your man anywhere. He dodges you all day. Tells you he’s out hanging with other people. You’re upset! You get home, vexed. Open the door and “SURPRISE.” It’s a party. And just like that he’s forgiven and all the lies are forgotten!

Okay. It’s a regular day. You can’t find your man anywhere. He dodges you all day. Tells you he’s out hanging with other people. You’re upset! You get home, vexed. Open the door and “SURPRISE.” Hi Veronica! (You’re name is not Veronica). Hell no! He’s not forgiven. You will never forget.

Now let’s say your dumbass does decide to forgive…we know how persuasive these guys can be. (okay okay, you’re not a dumbass – sorry bout the name-calling.) You may forgive. You can sincerely believe that he was sorry. And Veronica was just so tempting, but he really loves you and he will never do it again. But how can you forget that??? I mean he lied. He was deceitful, and worst of all, he hurt the f*ck out of you! You gotta protect yourself. How can you forget? You have to make sure it doesn’t happen again! Right?

Hmmm. Here’s the problem. Let’s give mr. man the benefit of the doubt. Let’s say he’s truly sorry and he won’t do it again. If you won’t forget, chances are you’re gonna throw it in his face from time to time. And how could you not? I mean, you’ve been scarred! It plays over and over in you head. You’re betrayed. Some hurts just never go away.

So I’m thinking. If I can’t forget something you did, how can I fully forgive you? If I know I can’t forget, won’t it just hurt both of us in the long run? I better be sure if I can’t forget that I will be able to move past it at least 90% of the time. Otherwise I’m gonna live a life of second guessing and doubts.

Sometime you gotta be able to say “This time she will be on time.” Or “He will never do it again. He loves me.” But sometimes that can only happen after a person proves himself. Maybe that means I gotta be waiting for Bestie for a few times and she comes late. Or maybe you have to lose a little bit of your freedom to prove you really aren’t with anyone else. But I’m also thinking that you can’t forgive carelessly. Protect yourself from being hurt.

And ultimately, you want to be able to forgive fully, so that when you mess up (and you will). You will be fully forgiven.

Is this statement true? “If you can’t forgive and forget, then forget about forgiving.”

Thoughts anyone???

3 comments:

Prodigious said...

i don't think that statement's true...cuz I mean you forgive what was done because you love the person and people make mistakes...im sure you've made a few but some things are just TOO damn hard to forget...it's just a reminder that niggas fucked up before...then there proves a difference between forgiving the act and trusting the person after the act! idk...rambling...

Anonymous said...

To forgive is something we all should be doing esp as Christians but we all fail to do wholeheartedly everyday. The "investments" make forgiving easier but that should not be the deciding factor to if you can forgive someone. Another "F" word needs to be thrown into this discussion is being "foolish." I think we should forgive everyone of any action but you cant be foolish to let the same thing happen again. Some people are foolish enough to think that because they love a person that they can forgive them and it wont happen again. Its impossible to forget something because like it or not it happened and there is no drug or machine that can wipe that past event from your brain so forgive the person, don't be foolish enough to let it happen again, and MOVE ON!!
(could go on and on but people don't read this blog...jk)

Jen of JustGrowAlready.com said...

Personally, I find it hard sometimes to forgive and forget, well it takes me a while depending on how big the mistake was. It's like forgiving works in steps with me sometimes. I'll forgive within a lil while but it's not a 100% and with time, I come to forgive entirely (hopefully). But forgetting? Doesn't happen with me. The hurt will fade and will stop fueling my emotions, but I'll always remember the time that she did this to me, or the time that he said something fucked up. I don't want to forget because I don't ever want to make the same mistake again. I guess for me forgetting doesn't influence my forgiving. I can forgive and never forget.