Thursday, December 20, 2007

the heart-smith

I've realized that my heart was broken. And those pieces were maliciously smashed into smaller fragments. I picked up as many pieces as I could, used the tip of my fingers to grab the tiny needle point bits, and shoved them into a bag. I didn't try to put the pieces back together. I couldn't. So I put the bag of my broken heart back inside me. My heart doesn't beat faster when his hand touches mine. It doesn't race when his lips sing to me. It simply rustles a little, and makes a faint noise. It doesn't send life surging through my body. It just sits quietly...broken in my chest.
I gave my glass heart to a black smith and he couldn't hold it without smudging it, chipping it, and finally crushing it in his tough grip. He looked at it, broken in his hand, and slowly moved his hand so the pieces would fall to the floor.
Separated these fragments feel no pain, no love, no care, no warmth. They just lie there motionless. And I in return do the same.
I've heard of the heart-smith. The wonders he works. He can take, so I've heard, just one fragment and fashion a new, completely mended heart. And if you have more of the pieces,he binds them together with a rubbery blend so that if your heart falls from your hands again, by accident, it won't break - it can endure. And if you have tiny tiny tiny fragments, I've heard he knows just where to put them - as if he made your heart himself! Where can I find this heart-smith who can make this glass unbreakable, and make this heart re-beat? Who can restore a purpose to this bag of fractured life sitting lifelessly in my chest?

4 comments:

Jen of JustGrowAlready.com said...

this may seem like a stupid question but bare with me.... what does a broken heart feel like?

Does it involve crying and a feeling a hurt that just overtakes you and makes you want to cry until you can't cry anymore? Does it involve losing the "bubble gut" feeling in your stomach when you see him? Does it involve not caring anymore whether he's mad or sad... could care less if an argument goes unresolved? Does it involve just doing you because you've enough of the whole caring for someone else... because in the end they handed you back frustration, frustration, anger, sadness, hurt, and more frustration. Does it involve wishing that you never met him, that you've wasted so much time trying to rely on the happy moments because the bad ones were so bad....

Because I've experienced all that but I don't know if I should take it a step further and admit that he broke my heart...

Because then I'd have to admit to myself that I had given it to him.

------------------------

But ANYWHO...i loves it!! Let me know when you find the heart-smith, what's left of my expectations of love and relationships aren't good...at this rate I'll end up settling.

I want you to find him!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prodigious said...

Well twin...I think it's situational, because I've had a broken heart and it literally hurt! Like I felt the pain...but I didn't stop caring about him/about us! I still got the bubbly feeling in my stomach when I saw him so...idk how to really explain it! But Gretchen your past few posts have been so sad (no offense) and honestly I don't even know wat to say to them!! Hmmmmm...me speechless, without analysis and critique...very seldom!

Jen of JustGrowAlready.com said...

twin that just means you talk too much lol :*

Prodigious said...

o...bek ou twin