Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Beloved


I am reading Beloved (by Toni Morrison)....this book is blowing me away!
So far, there are three things I've read that I want to share with you.

1. '"A man ain't nothing but a man," said Baby Suggs. "But a son? Well now, that's somebody."
As I get older I'm gonna start looking more seriously for a man to share my life with. But in the past few years I've been noticing that most men are the same and it's not something remotely spectacular. But I have to agree with Morrison here: It's the men positively influenced by their parent(s) that are different. And I know many men (women) grow up without fathers, and sometimes no mother (or they have a terrible relationship with her) but then, find someone else to emulate. In this day and age you have to live responsibly. I'm tired of the excuse, well my father wasn't around ( don't attack me just yet, I know this sounds a little insensitive)! The fact that your father performed a dereliction of his duties means you will fail at being a man? When will the cycle stop if that's the case. It's when you make a conscious effort to not be like him and find a better example, even if it's through a storybook character. I know it's easier said than done. But this hardship is necessary. So much of who we are is what we mean to the people we love and who love us most. A man must be a son before he can be a husband. Must love his wife before he can love the children she gives him....then maybe he won't leave.

2. All I'm saying is I want a guy to look at me like this (lol):
"Although her eyes were closed, Sethe knew his gaze was on her face, and a paper picture of just how bad she must look raised itself up before her mind's eye. Still, there was no mockery coming from his gaze. Soft. It felt soft in a waiting kind of way. He was not judging her-or he was judging but not comparing her. Not since Halle had a man looked at her that way: not loving or passionate, but interested, as though he were examining an ear of corn for quality."
I know the quote is a little weird, but I like the meaning.

3. "It's gonna hurt, now," said Amy. "Anything dead coming back to life hurts." A truth for all times, thought Denver.

How true is that!

1 comments:

Prodigious said...

i always found it hard to read Morrison but when you read it over and over it begins to make sooo much since and it proves its relativity in your world!! She spits the truth and those were some powerful quotes!!