Monday, March 24, 2008

Best Vocals

I driving home to Lancaster yesterday afternoon. Shades on, enjoying the sunny day, listening to KISS 108 when "Love Song" came on. Listening to the song I started thinking about some things that I read about her on you tube. Someone had posted a comment saying her nose was weird but that she had the best vocals they'd ever heard. Hmmmm I don't know if she has the best vocals I've ever heard (they're great, but I don't know if they're the best) but there is no doubt that she owns that song and she and the song are a perfect match.

It got me thinking - How tough is it for new artists to come out when the music industry is already filled with singers with GREAT voices!? Shouldn't they be discouraged and just not do it?

Where am I going with all this? I was talking to a Pathfinder yesterday who was a little sad because her boyfriend broke up with her and went after a girl "who was prettier than me" she said. I said this to her: There will always be someone prettier than you. And someone prettier than that person - if that's what you are looking for. Told her that if what he's looking for is to be with the prettiest girl then you need to be happy that he's not with you anymore. Don't be sad that he's after someone else, be sad that you wasted your time. After you get over the he's cute-she's cute phase you should start looking into personality matches and things like that. Looks only go so far...

I used to have the same problem-- but just as Sara Bareilles may not be the best singer in the world, there's no doubt that she and the song aren't. We need to stop looking for the best and start looking for the perfect match.

2 comments:

Jeffly said...

hey i like this garfield, it was good and for some reason made me smile a lil

Prodigious said...

oooohhhh me likey stinka!!