Monday, March 24, 2008

SHAME ON ME!

I was watching the Count of Monte Cristo yesterday with the fam and I remember the scene when Edmond Dantes is in the prison and the priest says he can give him something no one can ever take away from him: an education. Because they can take away his freedom and his money, his fiancee, or whatever, but what's in your brain - no one can take away.

And here I am, at an institution ranked in the top 50 in the country and I am throwing away my education. Missing classes, when there is a girl in Haiti who would kill for a chance to go to school but has to stay home and cook and clean. Not doing my readings when my grandfather bent over backwards so his children and there children could not be like him and learn to read. Not studying, understanding, and learning to better myself, when the only hope of ever becoming anything around the world is a hope of an education. Not caring when my parents and their bank account care too much. And yeah, whatever, I got issues and problems that distract me, but what about the mother who raised four kids, cooked, cleaned, studied, and became a nurse with a bachelor's degree...she didn't have problems either...?

Shame on me!

0 comments: