Wednesday, May 28, 2008

friend. girlfriend. fiance. wife.

"You're crazy." I laughed it off and said "I'll be back". I had said "It's not that serious" enough times that day for the rest of my life. Chuckling I walked out the room and was half way down the hall when I heard the door shut behind me. I went to a meeting or something for a couple hours and was heading back to his dorm room. We had been fighting over a picture [J] put up on facebook at her graduation cook out. (facebook is evil.) I was sitting on the floor leaning against a couch. A boy [K's love at the time] had dove down on the ground to hop in the picture with me. His head looked like it was on my lap, but it wasn't. I explained this to him. But he just didn't like the picture, so I made [j] take it down. I had never done anything to make him doubt my faithfulness. An innocent picture. (real innocent. ask [j])

His demeanor had changed. He was laughing and if my memory serves me right he was watching a game on TV. He was bonding with his roommate.

"What's going on?" I asked with a pleasant, relieved smile.
He glared at me sitting on his couch and said in the emptiest tone "you're packing." He pointed to his duffel bag on the floor. "I got most of your shit in there but I'm sure you got some stuff around here. I want the bag back so you can bring that back when you finish bringing your shit back to your room."

I wasn't just shocked, I wasn't just offended, I wasn't just hurt - but I was definitely obedient. I rose from the couch and went to the bathroom; I gathered my razors, and hair dryer, and tooth brush from this newly cleaned bathroom. I had finished scrubbing this male bathroom back to its original whiteness just a few hours ago. I found a couple clothing items in his room and quickly put them in the bag. I turned to the kitchen and realized that carrying all the food back to my room would be such a hassle.

I finish packing and I tell him I'm done, hoping that he will say stop or no don't leave, I'm sorry. He says nothing. "Babe, what did I do wrong?" I plead with him. "Let me know and I'll fix it!" I grab his arm and look in his eyes with the most sincere look on my face. "Why do I have to leave? Let me stay, with you. I can fix this. Just tell me what I have to do!"
"You have to leave" he says. Staring at the tv.
"I hate when you do this!" I was getting emotional. A tear had formed.
"Hell no. You ain't crying here! Why the fuck are you crying? Yo, just get your shit, and get out."
"I'm crying because I don't want to leave. What does this mean? Is it over?"
"Is that what you want?"
"NOO!" A flood of tears.
He laughs. "Nah, I'm through"

You didn't hear that? My heart just explode in my chest. You didn't hear it?

I didn't pull away from him. I moved closer.
"Baby, please" I beg. I beg. I beg.
"why the fuck are you still here?"
He grabbed my arm and pushed and brought me to his door. He went back for the bag and tossed it outside. "Leave."
The door slammed in my face. But I knew the code. I couldn't open it though because he wasn't leaning against it. I banged on the door and I screamed at him. I begged him. He opened it, and just when I thought he was gonna let me in. He was telling to shut up so I wouldn't disturb his neighbors. I lost and couldn't even make it to the elevator. I dropped his bag somewhere in the hallway, grabbed my cell phone and found a corner in the lounge.

I called my best friend, one of two friends I had at the time, and cried. And tried to talk but the tears made it hard. I'm sure, if I could translate through the muffled words and sniffles it was something like this:

"After all I've done. I fucking cook, I fucking clean, I fucking do everything. He wanted me to stay in his fucking room. I wanted my space, a place of my own. But he doesn't want me to leave. he wants see me all the time. What? when it's convenient for him? I've given him a year and a half of me. ALL OF ME! and this is is what I get. He tells me I've been slutting around when I ain't. He tells me he can't trust me when I am always with him. When was the last time you seen me? When was the last time I chilled with you guys?? He sees a picture and assumes the worst in the person he is supposed to love. what the fuck. and all I do is love him. I trust him with everything. You know i put up with all his shit, his stank attitude, his fucking demands, I do it all... For what? so he can fucking kick me out a place he begged me to stay in? I'm so fucking stupid. Now where do I go? back to my room? my roommate and her boyfriend done took over that place. And I don't even know the other girls anymore, haven't seen them in months. [J] is all the way on upper. I just don't wanna hear what they are gonna say. I picked him over everyone and now i have nothing.

Through my tears she reminds me that I paid for my housing so I have every right to my room. She reminds me that I still have her. No matter what. She tells me I can start over. There are plenty of new people I can meet, places to go. I'm a beautiful girl, she tells me. The people in my life are lucky to have me, and if they can't see that, their loss. Leave. I do. I go back to my room and realize that I brought all my blankets to his room, cause they were more comfortable than his. I cry myself to sleep and never in my life have i ever felt that useless. I felt my broken heart in the back of my throat, it was impossible to speak. My inner pain turned to physical pain. I felt sick. Yet, all I wanted was to hear his voice. He had become my security blanket. My everything. The person I ran to, when my mom said I was going to hell. The guy I spoke to when I never heard from my father or brother. The friend who always had time for me - even if we were fighting. The face I always saw. I didn't want another face.

But

How could he hurt me like this? I let him.

~
I've noticed that the things I feel very strongly about have a personal story attached to it. So when I say I will never move into man's apartment (unless he's a roommate) I mean I will never move into a man's apartment. And when I say I will never be a wifee again, I mean I will never be a wifee again.

Yes, we got back together- and maybe, it was the very next day. And yes, he came and got me and brought my things back to his room. But it was never the same. I never felt at home again. And when he moved off campus and got an apartment, I rarely stayed there. Because I will never let someone kick me out again.

I've learned that one-sided giving leads to one-sided taking. It is easy to take advantage of someone who loves you desperately. "they will always be there to do this..." And a part of me thought that he could never just love me, without the cooking, and the cleaning, and the papers, and the everything else. And that's just because I depended on someone else to love me, when I should depended on me to love me. Not to say I will never do things for a man (hell, I want to be a stay at home mom if I am financially well-off) but I will never let the things I do for a man define my place in a relationship. Reciprocity will be the only word that matters. And when I scratch his back he will massage mine for hours.

I'm not chanting feminism. I believe men and women have different roles (a personal opinion) but I am learning that independence is necessary, especially in a world where many men don't know their responsibilities to the women in their lives. I will cook food for me, clean for me, pay my rent, and do everything else for me. But that doesn't mean I don't care or won't care about you. But I will never be a wifee.

If I'm your wifee, you will see "long-term potential" in me, have all these expectations of a wife, and i will have no wife security. What happens if you leave? I just gave you the wifee me and now I have nothing. And when the show is over and we are done playing house, I don't even get half. Just a broken heart and whole lot of lost time.

So I'm sorry, until there is security and a promise of devotion, you cannot w.i.f.e me.

A wife? Someday and forever. Never again, a wifee.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey dat was our copley convo! I luv it n agree. fuck dat wifee shit...don't need a title I need da papers n ring to prove it...If i have so much potential make it happen damnit! lol

Anonymous said...

3 years ago I said i was sorry and i still mean every letter

*But moving on. It's funny how blogging works. I started but saved a post titled "vulnerability is beautiful" yesterday. I guess I wasn't ready to post it because I hadn't done enough thinking and processing about my own vulnerability and of you guys... this post is an example of exactly what I wanted to articulate.

**I realized a while ago that a lot of the things I've gone through and felt and thought and cried about, you have too. And I thought it was really weird but never said it out loud. Times you've said "I remember once X did this..." and within seconds I could pinpoint a memory and experience that damn near mirrored yours to an exact t

***And I feel you completely on this post. I feel like the man that will meet me half way in everything and even be extra when I lack, will never, ever wife me. He'll commit to me and make me it clear to me that I'm more than potential, I'm what he wants.

****You already know my sentiments towards ol boi in the post *clears throat* I never voice my sentiments and part of me doesn't want to but any who... seems like he was good for absolutely NOTHING offer then serving as a prime example of what women (smart, logical, grounded, emotional sound, and SANE women) will never, ever, ever, want! Remember my remix to a thank you letter? Showed me exactly all the shit that I don't want... yea he's right up there... or rather, down there... can't be given him props. He's entire existence baffles me

(i might as well put numbers, can't have a string of asterisks... i'm a losa for pointing that out huh?)

5.) I love you. You're beautiful inside and out and that lucky man that's there waiting for you has his work cut out for him... girlfriends tend to be critical of hubbys and boos... I def will be of the next one. He has his work cut out for him 'cause he better prove his worth more than the titles of "hubby or boo"

Prodigious said...

Wow....

1.What love interest????

2.It's crazy how many of my friends I can say have been in the EXACT same position...people get comfortable in situations (not that their truly happen, they're just comfortable) and that's a scary place to be! And no one can help you out that comfort zone...you have to do it on your own...and I realized that with you...

3...none of us liked that ass but as much as we gave our opinions or watevs it didn't matter cuz...when in such a situation you already have your mind made up about what's going to happen or what you want to happen...friend's advice doesn't really mean as much as it normally would!

4. I'm VERY proud of you!! As much as I hate the ups and downs of love...I love them equally because I will NEVER pass up the opportunity to learn and grow and that's exactly what you did! Many females don't know how to grow from their experiences and that's when they become all bitter and what not...but you have truly grown!! During our very quaint and interesting 4-way convo over the break I wanted to tell you that you are one of my most beautiful friends! Not cute, not pretty, but BEAUTIFUL!! You were always extremely intelligent, but now your confidence just puts it all together!! You once broke it down for me and now I'm gonna remind you that we are more valuable than anything a dude could ever want...no girl will ever amount! Give me a ring and the prenuptial papers lol...cuz if you think you getting the whole package without it ur STUPID!! :-) So very proud of you...love you!!

Unknown said...

Ok, I can admit I never deserved someone like you (my whole life I have used girls to get money, home cooked food, clothes, rides and whatever else I wanted at the time) but I have been there for you 10X more than any of your "trey deuce family" I know I was not the best boyfriend I'm fine with that in my growth as a man(I'm not there yet but one day) I will be worthy of someone special like you. But onto the truth over the past year n half I have given you over $4000 to pay for clothes, bills, food, nails, gas, and w/e else you may have spent the money on... I know some of that money has been given to you through guilt over "using you" or the way i treated you when i was depressed and homesick which i take full responsibility for. But just remember when u needed money when you were stranded in PR and your family disappeared on you or the several other occurrences when you begged your family or "friends" for money for important things you needed...Did they ever come thru 10% of the time??? Nope it was me always transferring my hard earned money to your account even after we broke up. I never gave ANY girl money before you and I don't plan on giving it out to any other girl until I get married(besides that one slip up). Now I don't at all regret giving you ANYTHING tho....

My biggest issue with you was that you were living 2 different lives:
1. on campus with me
2. at home with your family and church friends

... Don't even try and blame me for taking you away from them when I was the one begging you to merge the two together. For me to trust you is to know you and the only thing I really knew was that you were completely different around me than you were with them which is why it was sooo hard to trust what was going on esp wit some of those tendencies... To me this blog is a HUGE indicator that all the bad things I have done/do you have NO problem telling the 222ers. What about the good??? Any bad story you can tell I can combat with maybe 3 good stories. That is my MAIN issue with most females so quick to spread the bad news to all their "friends" but when they have good things happen to them why do you keep that to yourselves?

But I know how important perception is to you so please go ahead and keep doing what your doing I actually like this blog because you have disclosed more of your inner self in this blog than to me the past 3+ yrs.

p.s. Jen I know you don't care for me whatsoever which is fine but just know I appreciate you being a great friend and roommate to Camille, you are a special person

p.p.s. I know money isn't everything but just one major example of good things I've been doing. Sorry for being an "ass" I am not perfect and neither are you but will love you always and I wont disturb your blog again

p.p.p.s. you rejected the ring...

Unknown said...

It's funny how money meant nothing in the relationship when I was the one giving.